Mrs. Lynne Payne Beadles 1886-1959
(From Left: Mrs. Ingram, Mrs. Murphy, Miss Thorton, first long-term librarian, Mrs. Busey, and Mrs. Redwine. Ms. Beadles not pictured)
The first library in Fayette County was organized by the Fayette Woman's Club in the 1920's. The women listed above held fund raising for the first library building completed on September 27, 1948.
Another contributor to the library fund was Margaret Mitchell. Ms. Mitchell learned of the dedication and hard work of the women and their goal to open a library. She donated books as well as funds toward the library building.
Forerunners of the Fayette County Public Library
The Fayette County Margaret Mitchell Library
The Fayette County Public Library, under the leadership of the director, Christeen Snell, has been recognized state-wide for its excellent programming and many services to the community.
The library has an active Friends of the Library group. The non-profit volunteer organization supports the library's many activities. In May, 2000, the Friends of the Fayette County Public Library donated a baby grand piano for the multi-purpose room.
In addition to being a member of the Flint River Regional Library System, the library belongs to the statewide network called, PINES. The library joined PINES in December, 1999, along with the other Flint River Regional Libraries. The PINES network enabled a web-based online catalog and increased resource sharing among Georgia libraries.